Response to the UN Women’s call on: “Consultation seeking views on UN Women approach to sex work, the sex trade and prostitution”
This statement has been jointly prepared by 190 sex worker rights, women’s rights, and human rights organizations. It was written in response to UN Women’s call for submissions regarding UN Women’s policy on sex work.
The Statement is calling UN Women to meaningfully engage with a broad range of sex workers’ and women’s rights organizations in the policy development process. It focuses on five key recommendations for UN Women to consider in their policy development process:
- Develop the policy through a transparent and participatory process, engaging a diverse range of sex workers from the global South and North,
- Anchor the policy in human rights principles
- Distinguishing between sex work and trafficking
- Emphasize the importance of decriminalization and remove related punitive laws and policies
- Address all forms of violence against all sex workers